Kapha will respond well to the lightness of fresh veggies and fruits, and small amounts of nuts and seeds.
Kapha will have to watch their fat intake more than other doshas, and will probably need to stay around 10% or less of calories from fat.
Minimize oily foods like avocado, coconut, olives, nuts and seeds, and salt, as kapha retains water easily.
Kapha will do well to use heating spices generously. Foods with a warming energetic are favorable to ice cold food from the fridge.
Store your fruits and veggies on the counter, and use the dehydrator and Vitamix blender to warm your foods.
Kapha needs rough foods with lots of fiber, such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, dark leafy greens, and sprouted seeds and legumes.
Pungent tastes like chilies, radishes, turnips, raw onions, and most spices; bitter tastes like dark leafy greens, cacao, cumin, saffron, and turmeric; and astringent tastes like sprouted beans, some fruits, and vegetables will all pacify kapha.
Think lots of vegetables, moderate fruit, and low fat.
As always, listen to your body, and watch for signs of imbalance.
Signs Of Imbalance:
- Excess mucus
- Thick, white tongue coat
- Slow, sticky sluggish bowel movements
- High body weight
- Difficulty rising in the morning
- Feeling slow, foggy, dull, lethargic, or heavy
- Easily attached or possessive
- Overly sentimental
- Complacent or stubborn
- Tendency for “emotional overeating”
What To Include & Focus On:
- Stimulation, exercise, lightening, warming & drying
- Tastes: pungent, bitter, astringent
- Heating spices like chili, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom
- Room temperature or warm drinks and food
- Sprouted legumes and seeds
- Lots of veggies
- Routine meal times; intermittent fasting is OK
- Mindfully eating in a peaceful environment
What To Avoid:
- Tastes: sweet, sour, salty
- Cold foods and drinks
- Heavy, oily foods
- Over 10% calories from fat
- Processed foods
- Overeating or eating heavy meals
- Refined sugars
Are You Kapha Predominant? How Do You Stay Balanced On A Raw Food Or Plant-Based Diet? Let Me Know In The Comments Below!
Don’t know your dosha?
Go here! It’s 100% free!
Are you serious about improving your health?
It’s also available in paperback here!
Do you want ongoing support in achieving your health goals?