This may be the best thing I’ve ever made…
Since I sold and stored everything that didn’t fit in my backpack and traveled to southeast Asia, I have really missed playing in the kitchen!
It is definitely a fulfilling creative outlet for me and a way that I show myself love.
Thankfully, my current abode has a shared kitchen! Think mini-commune of bungalows and townhome-style bungalows with shared kitchen and common area for chilling and charging electronics.
Since I arrived, I have found it very easy, effortless, and enjoyable to live a fruit-based lifestyle. I’ve had access to plates, bowls, and sharp knives. Even a butcher knife for hacking into sprouted coconuts! My room is flowing with fruit, and I’m able to keep items chilled in the fridge as well. What luxuries!
Tonight, I took the liberty of throwing this salad creation together. As it turned out, Sol, one of the staff members here, cleaned out the fridge, and placed all the random unclaimed items that previous guests left behind. I snagged some ginger, roma tomatoes, garlic, chilis, mango, carrot, and shallots.
What was going to be a simple salad of coconut, cucumber, tomato, and mango turned into this deliciousness that I will share with you now.
Chunky Coconut Curry
Ingredients for the dressing:
- middle of one cucumber (from making noodles)
- 4-5 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- mature meat from 1 coconut, broken into pieces (these are the brown ones in the store, or you could use meat from a young Thai coconut for a smoother curry)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 2 chilis, stems removed
- 3 inches ginger, peeled
- 2 limes, juiced
- heaping tbsp curry powder (optional)
- drizzle soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos, to taste (optional)
- Throw all of the above into your high-speed blender or food processor (oh how I miss my sweet Vitamix!), and blend until…well, that’s up to you!
I used a food processor, and the result was not smooth and creamy but had a super enjoyable texture.
Using mature coconut meat will create a chunkier texture, especially if using a food processor.
I am sure the Vitamix could turn even mature coco meat into creamy bliss.
This makes a lot of dressing, easily enough for two very generous servings.
Stored in the fridge, it will turn into a delicious paté!
Ingredients for the salad:
- 3 cucumbers, noodled
- 1/2 large carrot, grated
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 mangos, chopped
- 1 corn off the cob
- Throw all of the above into a huge bowl.
- Use hands or salad tongs to incorporate.
- Top generously with the dressing, and mix it all together.
- Drizzle with the soy sauce if you like. I used a bit, and it was quite nice.
Please let me know in the comments if you try it! It is absolutely delicious and very satisfying for the savory tooth…I am still super full from it!
Want more recipes like this and total support for a healthy lifestyle transformation? Go here for free access!